Author Topic: Dynamic Cube - Cognos Analytics Explorer  (Read 267 times)

Offline dannyro@hotmail.com

• Associate
  • Forum Citizenship: +0/-0
Dynamic Cube - Cognos Analytics Explorer
« on: 04 Apr 2018 04:53:52 pm »
new to the forum...
I"m wondering if we have 210 PVU (type of licenses) my understanding is that it doesn't matter the number of users... but which type of users....

Can we have users set up as Cognos Analytics Explorer (type of license) so they can use Dynamic Cube and Framework Management?

Thank you,
D-Rod

Offline MFGF

• Never knowingly correct
  • Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +620/-10
  • Cognos Software Muppet
Re: Dynamic Cube - Cognos Analytics Explorer
« Reply #1 on: 05 Apr 2018 01:59:02 am »
new to the forum...
I"m wondering if we have 210 PVU (type of licenses) my understanding is that it doesn't matter the number of users... but which type of users....

Can we have users set up as Cognos Analytics Explorer (type of license) so they can use Dynamic Cube and Framework Management?

Thank you,
D-Rod

Hi,

PVU is an IBM-specific term for the power of a CPU. It stands for Processor Value Unit. 210 PVUs sounds like 3 cores of a lower-spec processor? This means you can cram on as many users (of the specific license type) as the server will physically handle. However...

There are different types of PVU license for Cognos. Just as with Named User licensing, you can have Analytics Explorer, Analytics User and Information Distribution licenses via the PVU model. You need to find out what specific license type your 210 PVUs is for. If it's 210 PVUs of Analytics Explorer, your users can use Cube Designer and Framework Manager. If it's 210 PVUs of Analytics User, your users can build reports/dashboards/data modules etc from any data source (including any dynamic cubes that might be running on your server) but they can't use Cube Designer or Framework Manager. If it's 210 PVUs of Information Distribution, your users can't even execute reports or use dashboards - all they can do is to view or receive existing saved report outputs.

In summary, the answer to your question is "it depends". You need to investigate exactly what PVU license you hold.

Cheers!

MF.
Meep!

Offline dannyro@hotmail.com

• Associate
  • Forum Citizenship: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: 05 Apr 2018 02:00:59 pm »
thank you for your response, I just find out we have
Cognos Analytics User PVU
and rest are named users (Admin & Explorer)

Offline MFGF

• Never knowingly correct
  • Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +620/-10
  • Cognos Software Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 06 Apr 2018 04:00:41 am »
thank you for your response, I just find out we have
Cognos Analytics User PVU
and rest are named users (Admin & Explorer)

Ah ok. In that case the PVU users can't use Framework Manager or Cube Designer.

Cheers!

MF.
Meep!

Twittear