Author Topic: report studio  (Read 460 times)

Offline ittimes

• Forum Citizenship: +0/-0
report studio
« on: 18 Apr 2018 09:30:17 am »

WHY COGNOS?
Represents an existing fully integrated platform at Company
Existing Cards Cognos framework already designed as star schema to accommodate all products/services
Existing Cards deployment already includes a broad range of client data
Existing Cards dashboard templates can be used to accelerate development of dashboards for other products
Cognos platform is already scaled to accommodate (not possible on Tableau)
Robust solution requires fully integrated data experience (discrete dashboards that are not connected to all other client, behavioural and product metrics are of very limited value)

Offline ittimes

• Forum Citizenship: +0/-0
Re: report studio
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2018 09:31:05 am »
Fully integrated self-service dashboards have enabled efficient, flexible and fast data, insights, analysis and reporting capabilities in the Cards business
The purpose of this proposal is to deliver self-service dashboards to enable similar capabilities for other products and

Offline BigChris

• Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +84/-0
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2018 10:33:40 am »
Is that a statement, a question, or something else  ???

Offline MFGF

• Never knowingly correct
  • Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +620/-10
  • Cognos Software Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2018 11:02:06 am »
To echo the style of the second post, it's a
Meep!

Offline superdesi

• Forum Citizenship: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2018 09:31:09 pm »
Spam!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Offline BigChris

• Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +84/-0
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2018 01:58:02 am »

Offline bdbits

• Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +106/-0
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2018 12:28:25 pm »
Not sure it is spam, really, as it is at least referencing Cognos. Looks like maybe assistance trying to block a move to Tableau instead of Cognos. Which is more like comparing apples and oranges, as they meet different needs (in my opinion).

But more input from the OP is certainly needed.

Offline Reinhard

• Community Leader
« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2018 01:31:18 pm »
Not sure it is spam, really, as it is at least referencing Cognos. Looks like maybe assistance trying to block a move to Tableau instead of Cognos. Which is more like comparing apples and oranges, as they meet different needs (in my opinion).

But more input from the OP is certainly needed.

Please specify. Tableau is on the rise and I would like to know what needs it serves better / differently.

Offline bdbits

• Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +106/-0
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2018 10:44:14 am »
Tableau has excellent visualizations, is highly interactive, and easily pulls in whatever data sources you have at hand. But... They are trying to make the product more enterprise-oriented, but at this time it falls short. It's integration with external authentication sources like Active Directory in a multiple forest with trusts is limited. It can use AD groups, sort of. As a content author, it really expects you to be using desktop (a thick client), then share by publishing to either their cloud service or an on-premise Tableau Server. There is a web-based authoring environment, but there are some things that are awkward and others like data source creation (think packages) that are impossible versus the desktop product (though they have parity as a goal, some day). Data governance is minimal. They are big on (proprietary) data extracts from the source into Tableau, which when on Server does make things fast but then you have to deal with extraction refreshes. If you have requirements for highly formatted textual reports, it is not a good fit and is very limited. MS Office integration is almost non-existent, and you usually end up exporting it to an image or PDF for import to the Office document. And customization of reports (think Report Studio) is much weaker. There are things in beta for extending the interface, but they are not there now. At least in Cognos, there is a javascript API and you have a very malleable surface to work with in Report Studio so you can make it do a lot beyond what you get "out of the box". The kind of customization you can get with Cognos when displaying the report in a web page is not there in Tableau.

All that said, it is very fluid and user-friendly. I've not had much exposure to Cognos 11, so I cannot make a fair comparison and am coming from more of a v10 perspective. I can say that Cognos has a much more robust enterprise feature set - authentication, integration, data governance, etc. And is much better at heavily formatted presentation and integration with Office and web sites. Tableau may get there some day, and has its own strengths on the visual side, but today I would still stand by my apples-and-oranges comment.

Offline Reinhard

• Community Leader
« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2018 12:02:36 pm »
This was an highly objective explanation that gave me all the pointers to look into more deeply myself!

Thanks!
Reinhard

Twittear