Author Topic: OpenVMS / powerhouse / DEC Alpha data migration  (Read 212 times)

Offline worthspending

• Associate
  • Forum Citizenship: +0/-0
OpenVMS / powerhouse / DEC Alpha data migration
« on: 21 Apr 2018 04:37:25 pm »
I have been charged with determining the requirements to migrate data from applications running OpenVMS on DEC alpha. I have no knowledge of openvms or powerhouse, however, I have plenty of experience with linux. I am able to connect to the server via SSH.

My question is are there any standard tools part of openvms I can use to help me verify the database back end? get an idea of how many tables, rows of data, etc.?

Anyone looking for a side gig working remotely?

Offline MFGF

• Never knowingly correct
  • Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +620/-10
  • Cognos Software Muppet
Re: OpenVMS / powerhouse / DEC Alpha data migration
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2018 04:28:59 am »
I have been charged with determining the requirements to migrate data from applications running OpenVMS on DEC alpha. I have no knowledge of openvms or powerhouse, however, I have plenty of experience with linux. I am able to connect to the server via SSH.

My question is are there any standard tools part of openvms I can use to help me verify the database back end? get an idea of how many tables, rows of data, etc.?

Anyone looking for a side gig working remotely?

Hi,

One of the first questions is whether the data is in a relational database (such as RDB) or in indexed-sequential files. PowerHouse has a dictionary component called PDL, where the underlying files/databases are identified and described. Look for a file with a suffix of .PDL and open it with a text editor to see what is in there. That should get you started as a first step :)

Cheers!

MF.
Meep!

Twittear