i have been heavily customizing a cognos 8.3-installation via the "skins"-functionality for the last week, and all seemed to work fine (mainly cognos connection, query studio)â€¦
however, today i ran into a major problem. i'm not very familiar with the cognos application(s) and only discovered the cognos viewer today by clicking around among the sample pages and tabs i created to test the new "skin" - and to my very personal horror ;-), "cognos viewer" now appears completely unstyled. when i view the underlying stylesheets, i run into lots and lots of
background-color: /* MISSING: background */;
and the like for both (URLs for the stylesheets)
i suspect that my newly created/modified styles (eg. in skins/newskin/ps/default.css) get somewhat parsed to build the stylesheets for cognos viewer, but that i have modified too much for cognos to parse those styles as it's used to, resulting in the "MISSING: ..." statements.
i use a lot of shorthand syntax in my css and already tried reverting most of those, but still no success.
any insight on this is highly appreciated, as the documentation doesn't really help - i hope i haven't overlooked anything obvious.
when i choose one of the default themes, the "cognos viewer" part appears "styled" again (stating the obvious, i know :-/) â€¦ to clarify what i want to describe by saying "cognos viewer part" (because i'm still in no way familiar with the application):
- in "cognos connection", i created a "new page" (in "my folder") and put some of the standart cognos portlets (html viewer, rss viewer and the like) on it
- in the last step of the "new page assistant", i registered a new tab for the new page
- when i access the page by clicking the tab, it displays fine (as it's "rendered in cognos connection" as far as i understand)
- when i view the page via the "my folders"-tab, it appears completely unstyled (saying "cognos viewer" on the top of the page)
- when i view the html source and css-references, the two stylesheets with the "/* MISSING ... * */"-comments "appear"
for example, i gave the whole page a background-image (in skins/myskin/portal/default.css), which doesn't show up (in the "viewer") at all, as well as using some tricks to get hover-effects for the whole "cognos connection"-tabs; i faked round edges for the "mainheader3"-table and so on �" in short, our goal _was_ to make cognos do not look like cognos at all ;-).
i constantly tested what i assumed was "every part of cognos" (and they appear to be just fine) �" i just kind of "missed" that damn "cognos viewer" until now.
i guess i have to start from scratch and keep sticking to one of the default-skins (and it's css) as close as possibleâ€¦?!
i just did the following to narrow down possible problem areas �" and i'm hoping someone is still willing and able to get on that strange journey with me:
- i copied the default cognos 8.3-"modern"-skin
- renamed it, registered it as a new skin
- opened it's /portal/default.css
- and changed just the background-color for the BODY from #ffffff to #ff0000
- changes show up in "cognos connection"
- when i access "cognos administration" using that skin (with only that ONE CHANGE), it appears "unstyled" as described above
now it gets strange: when i REVERT those changes (read: JUST, ONLY ... changing the background-color back to #ffffff), the problem of the "unstyled" administration-area REMAINS. when if run a "diff" on the "default.css" in my skin-copy and its original in the unchanged default-skin-folder, it does not show a single difference. (same file encoding, line endings â€¦)
before this, i thought that my "very custom" css changes caused those problems. now it seems i can make cognos go crazy just with one simple change in "default.css" �" leaving me clueless.
please forgive me for my general "cognos-n00b'ness" ;-) and that mess of a post.
thanks in advance,