IBM Cognos 10 Platform > Upgrading to Cognos 10

Suggestions for Cognos 7 to Cognos 10 Migration

(1/4) > >>

abhisheksrivastava85:
Hi All,

Can you please share some pros or cons or points to be consider while migrating cognos 7 to cognos 10. I have never worked on cognos 7 but i have good experience in Cognos 8.4 and Cognos 10. Also if you have faced any issues while migration in past please share.

Thanks in Advance
Regards
Abhishek

MFGF:
Hi,

It's a little too generic to specify "Cognos 7". Unlike Cognos 8/10, the Cognos 7 release is a suite of loosely coupled products, each with a different architecture. You have Impromptu Client, PowerPlay Client, Impromptu Web Reports, PowerPlay Enterprise Server, NoticeCast, Cognos Query, Visualizer client and web, Upfront portal etc. There are different strategies for migrating different parts of the C7 suite (or not migrating, as the case may be).

Regards,

MF.

abhisheksrivastava85:
Thank you so much MF.

Let me reframe the question like "Are there any compatibility issue while migrating reports from cognos Impromptu to Cognos 10"?

If yes can you please share some, where i specifically needs to pay attention while migration.

Thanks in Advance
Abhishek

MFGF:
For Impromptu, it's quite a difficult decision on whether to migrate existing content or to start again in Cognos 10 ( or 8 ). The architectures of Impromptu and C10 are entirely different, and the way the data is modelled in Cognos 10 is critically important in generating accurate, predictable results in reports. This is because it is designed to be an enterprise-wide reporting solution, and to be able to span multiple star schemas at different levels of granularity while returning correct results. Impromptu will not do this - spanning multiple star schemas is nigh on impossible. As a result, while your Impromptu catalogs will migrate across, you will most likely have to revise their structure extensively in Cognos 10 Framework Manager. This will probably break all of your migrated Impromptu reports. The big question is whether it is less work to do this and fix things, or to start from scratch and redesign the reports in Cognos 10.

Regards,

MF.

abhisheksrivastava85:
I feel this approach (building from scratch) is good when your report count is less but what if you have to migrate let say 400 reports from Impromptu to cognos 10 then it is really not possible to develop each report from scratch. I mean it will require lot of time and efforts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version