Author Topic: moving reports from 10.2 to Cognos analytics 11  (Read 1300 times)

Offline MFGF

• Never knowingly correct
  • Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +620/-10
  • Cognos Software Muppet
Re: moving reports from 10.2 to Cognos analytics 11
« Reply #15 on: 01 Mar 2018 04:00:19 am »
Hi,

that first option it says to install all in 1 server, is for POC or demo purpose only not for complete development work I believe.

It says the following:

This option is typically used for departmental deployments, as a demonstration system, or in a proof of concept environment.

There are three use cases listed . Departmental deployment, where there is a small audience and no requirement for failover. Demonstration system where there is no production workload. POC environment where again there is no production workload.

Your situation sounds like the first use case? It certainly does not say a single server install is for POC or demo purpose only.

Yes I have taken official training only long back, where I have used distributed components like 2 servers for each gateway, dispatcher and content manager.

I suggest you review the course materials again. When I taught the Admin course there were slides that specifically covered the different install options, including single server, and moving from there to multiple servers with different mixes of components on each. :)

It all depends on the requirement we will choose the environment setup, but for best performance its not advisable to install all in one server, that what I am thinking.....

That's not necessarily true. If the single server has enough free resources to handle the workload, you will not see any performance difference than if you were using multiple servers. In fact, you might see marginally worse performance with multiple servers as there is extra processing involved to load balance requests between servers.

Thanks for Data module details. I will sure be installing FM and use because its really feasible and better for development purpose only.

A good plan. FM is still the metadata tool of choice for creating robust, governed, metadata.

Cheers!

MF.

Thanks
Gopi
[/quote]
Meep!

Offline 84gopi

• Forum Citizenship: +0/-1
« Reply #16 on: 02 Mar 2018 05:59:45 am »
Hi,

Is my understanding is correct on my previous post, let me know your final thoughts on this.

Thanks
Gopi

Offline MFGF

• Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Cognos Software Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 02 Mar 2018 07:29:38 am »
Hi,

Is my understanding is correct on my previous post, let me know your final thoughts on this.

Thanks
Gopi

Hi,

What is your understanding? That a single server is only suitable for demo or POC purposes? Is that what you're asking?

MF.
Meep!

Offline dougp

• Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +14/-1
« Reply #18 on: 02 Mar 2018 05:41:18 pm »
A single server is not only suitable for proof-of-concept.  It works fine as a production system.

I purchased a new, current server machine last year (4 CPU cores, 32 GB RAM, plenty of HDD).  I'm running gateway, one 32-bit dispatcher, and content manager on that hardware.  Memory usage is typically around 40% and CPU usage usually averages about 10% to 15%.  I have 6800 potential users, 2500 logons, 250 distinct users running 1000 report requests daily (that's only an average of 2 requests per minute for the 9-hour core hours).

My Content Store is on a SQL server box managed by my database administrators.

If your clients have their hearts set on Cognos Analytics 11.0.x, performance of a single-server configuration shouldn't be a problem.

Offline 84gopi

« Reply #19 on: 05 Mar 2018 02:57:06 am »
Hi MF,

Thanks for the details, so after going through mail here is the Summary

Depends on work load, number of users, production work load we can decide to install all components in 1 server or multiple servers.

Also we need to install data tier and content manager in different systems, as per distribution options link shared be me earlier.

Any way I will pass these information to our client, mean while they are also planning to have call with IBM on server setup to see which is suitable.

Because as per I know users are going to use Cognos BI as well as Power BI both for reports.

Thanks
Gopi

Offline MFGF

• Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Cognos Software Muppet
« Reply #20 on: 05 Mar 2018 04:25:05 am »
Depends on work load, number of users, production work load we can decide to install all components in 1 server or multiple servers.

Yes - exactly

Also we need to install data tier and content manager in different systems, as per distribution options link shared be me earlier.

No. You can install all the Cognos architecture on one server, including content manager, if you want to. The "data tier" is wherever your databases live - including the content store database. This can be on the same server as Cognos or elsewhere - it's up to you.

Cheers!

MF.
Meep!

Offline 84gopi

« Reply #21 on: 05 Mar 2018 04:42:07 am »
Hi,

In below link IBM have stated differently right, so I am confused..

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEP7J_11.0.0/com.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.inst_cr_winux.doc/c_reportnetinstallationoptions.html

Install application tier components and Content Manager on separate computers.

Choose this option to maximize performance, availability, capacity, or security based on the processing characteristics of our organization.

No matter which IBM Cognos installation scenario you follow, install the modeling components in separate locations.

•Application Tier Components and Content Managers on separate computers

Application Tier Components balance loads, access data, perform queries, schedule jobs, and render reports. Content Manager stores all report specifications, results, packages, folders, and jobs in the content store.

Please clarify.

Thanks
Gopi

Offline MFGF

• Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Cognos Software Muppet
« Reply #22 on: 05 Mar 2018 04:59:52 am »
Hi,

In below link IBM have stated differently right, so I am confused..

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEP7J_11.0.0/com.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.inst_cr_winux.doc/c_reportnetinstallationoptions.html

Install application tier components and Content Manager on separate computers.

Choose this option to maximize performance, availability, capacity, or security based on the processing characteristics of our organization.

No matter which IBM Cognos installation scenario you follow, install the modeling components in separate locations.

•Application Tier Components and Content Managers on separate computers

Application Tier Components balance loads, access data, perform queries, schedule jobs, and render reports. Content Manager stores all report specifications, results, packages, folders, and jobs in the content store.

Please clarify.

Thanks
Gopi

Hi,

We seem to be going around and around in circles here. The document you linked to shows ALL the available option choices you have for installing. The first four bullets points are alternatives you can choose to use, and the first of these clearly says "Install all components on one computer". This means installing all components on one computer is an option you can choose if it fits your requirements.

Let's make this clear, in simple words:

You can install all components of Cognos on one computer. There is no need to distribute the installation if you do not wish to. The document you linked to is a set of alternate scenarios for installing, and you can choose any one of them, including the first.

I hope that clears things up

MF.
Meep!

Offline dougp

• Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +14/-1
« Reply #23 on: 06 Mar 2018 11:02:57 am »
gopi,

I'll just say it:  It looks like you are fishing for a reason to purchase additional hardware.

If you're really just trying to get it right...
Cognos Analytics 11.0.x will run on one server machine or many.  The reasons to choose different physical architectures are well-documented.  Your choice should be based on anticipated product component needs, usage volumes, and any requirements for high availability.  Document your needs (CYA), make a choice, and move forward.  If multiple machines are required, make that clear so management can make the choice.  If only one machine is needed, brag about how much money you are saving the company.

Offline ccgwalters

• Associate
  • Forum Citizenship: +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: 12 Mar 2018 10:45:03 am »

All the reports you have in 10.2.1 should run exactly as they do now when you move them to Cognos Analytics. There are new features you can "switch on" if you wish to (such as the new Interactive Viewer) and depending on how your reports are written and whether you use JavaScript they might need some updates if you do, but if you just move the reports etc they should work exactly as they do currently in 10.2.1.

MF,

This has not been our experience. We are upgrading from 10.2.2 to 11.05 and have many reports that ran just fine in 10.2.2 and now either error or take hours to run in 11.0.5 (when they took minutes to run in 10.2.2). In fact there is a scheduled report running now that is at almost 6 hours when it took less than 20 minutes on our 10.2.2 server. My IT services group tells me that the configuration and resource are the same and should not be causing this restriction.

My fellow report developers are at our wits end trying to figure out why these reports don't run in the same time or at all.

CC-GW

Offline CognosPaul

• Global Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +250/-1
    • Paul's Cognos Blog
« Reply #25 on: 12 Mar 2018 10:52:46 am »
MF,

This has not been our experience. We are upgrading from 10.2.2 to 11.05 and have many reports that ran just fine in 10.2.2 and now either error or take hours to run in 11.0.5 (when they took minutes to run in 10.2.2). In fact there is a scheduled report running now that is at almost 6 hours when it took less than 20 minutes on our 10.2.2 server. My IT services group tells me that the configuration and resource are the same and should not be causing this restriction.

My fellow report developers are at our wits end trying to figure out why these reports don't run in the same time or at all.

CC-GW

Did you migrate from CQM to DQM? I'm doing an upgrade project now, and it's been a nightmare. Pretty much every report, over 1400, needs a rewrite to work in DQM. Even if the reports validate, some expressions just killed performance.

Offline ccgwalters

• Associate
  • Forum Citizenship: +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: 12 Mar 2018 12:16:44 pm »
Did you migrate from CQM to DQM? I'm doing an upgrade project now, and it's been a nightmare. Pretty much every report, over 1400, needs a rewrite to work in DQM. Even if the reports validate, some expressions just killed performance.

CognosPaul,

The packages we used in 10.2.2 for reports were all CQM and still are in 11. I do not know how Cognos is installed or configured, as that is the realm of our ITS department. I'll check and see if DQM is the default now.

Thanks for the info.

Offline MFGF

• Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Cognos Software Muppet
« Reply #27 on: 12 Mar 2018 12:39:12 pm »
MF,

CC-GW

It's also pertinent to understand that Cognos Analytics has quite a bit more functionality (and therefore more java services running) than Cognos 10. Just because Cognos 10 runs quickly on a specific server configuration, it doesn't necessarily follow that Cognos Analytics will run as quickly using the same server spec - you will quite likely find that the server requires more memory for CA. In 11.0.8 IBM added a setting to the Run Options dialog to "Show performance details" - you can switch this on to see where the time is being taken when running reports.

Cheers!

MF.
Meep!

Twittear