Author Topic: Can Dynamic Cube be used in Tableau?  (Read 8229 times)

Offline bdbits

• Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +106/-0
Re: Can Dynamic Cube be used in Tableau?
« Reply #15 on: 30 Aug 2018 04:56:28 pm »
cognostechie - I do believe your stories on what you run across, but wow. And what a shame, which sadly mostly points at the incompetence of the IT staff behind those installations.  :'(

As far as Tableau, here is the thing. There is a significant portion of the Tableau user base that is started and is still based on the desktop product. I am not sure they even offered server initially. Many of these users come from statistical and analytical backgrounds, and do not consume a data warehouse. They have access to raw data, and are knowledgeable enough to mash multiple data sources together within Tableau Desktop (basically in-tool modeling). Tableau has even recently released a tool that is basically an ETL product to produce extracts for Tableau. Other tools do the same kind of thing - model it inside the software, and download the entire result set. Inefficient? Error-prone? Multiple versions of the truth? Yes, certainly can be a problem.

But Tableau has a lot more enterprise customers now, and the issues of data integrity and trust are being surfaced (BI history all over again). These same enterprise customers are often pointing Tableau at data warehouses now, and things are at the point where you can use Tableau with Server more like a more traditional BI tool - consuming a curated data warehouse, using a semantic layer for presentation, on a web interface, with data filtered for security, etc. But the do-it-yourself community is also still there and going strong, so the impression one gets about Tableau can be very much affected by the source of your information about it.

Tableau has some interesting and useful capabilities. It can produce more than dashboards, and can make useful stuff (well, not so much textual reports but I digress). It does not require 'power users' to produce output if you have them consuming Tableau data sources (essentially a semantic and security layer). There is a web-based interface instead of desktop and you can control user capabilities if needed. It can be very much a drag-n-drop operation for regular users, and as self-servicing as any tool when implemented well. It is fair to say it is not as well-rounded as Cognos, and its strengths are largely in interactive graphically-based analytics - and you have the abilities for hierarchies and drill up-down-through and viewing raw data and all the rest if needed. Sometimes, this is all that is needed and it works fine. Not as capable as Cognos, but it fits a certain use case.

The cost of BI/reporting has often centered on licensing costs. I would argue the real investment is in data discovery, quality, and cleansing, consolidation, and curation on a well-designed data architecture. Ideally, you build a repository of data accessible by any capable tool, whether it is Cognos, Tableau, PowerBI, Qlikview, or whatever, even multiple tools if you like. That is how you deliver value from a data perspective, then implement your front-end tools well to engage users and reach the nirvana of self-service BI. That's my take, anyway.

Offline cognostechie

• Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +133/-7
    • Pervisol
« Reply #16 on: 30 Aug 2018 05:42:40 pm »
Very informative. Thanks bdbits !

Let's see what we can do to repair the damage done already. The capabilities of C11 and somebody making a proper intuitive package for every source system would probably be an answer.

Offline Reinhard

• Forum Citizenship: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: 06 Sep 2018 01:54:04 pm »
You are 100% right! The weakness of tableau is, that you need a well modeled DWH because you basically have BI users who need to join tables and propably have no idea of the data structure.

However, earlier that year Tableau Prep was released what is the Framework Manager of Tableau.

Offline bdbits

• Super Moderator
  • Statesman
« Reply #18 on: 10 Sep 2018 09:09:29 am »
If you are using Tableau Server, users do not need to join tables. In fact there is no UI for them to do so. Nor does it require a data warehouse, well modeled or otherwise.

Tableau Desktop is used to create the Tableau equivalent of a Framework Manager package. You pull in the data you need, create any filters, etc. then publish it as a "data source" which server users use as the basis for their reports like you would a Cognos package.

Tableau Prep is more comparable to an ETL tool, and is used to create Tableau data extracts.

Offline sdf

• Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +4/-0
« Reply #19 on: 10 Sep 2018 11:56:02 am »
Isn't there a "Link datasource" in tableau, I remember this form tableau 8?
Something done for  data blending.
Which seems to me is the interface for joining.

And I heard form tableau 10. There's this cross-database joins. Well this is for diff db sources.

« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2018 12:00:12 pm by sdf »

Offline bdbits

• Super Moderator
  • Statesman
« Reply #20 on: 12 Sep 2018 02:51:38 pm »
When talking Tableau, there are some differences between desktop and server UIs and capabilities. Blending is one of these. You have to use desktop. You cannot create data sources on Tableau Server, you can only consume the ones that have been published there by a desktop user.

Offline Reinhard

• Forum Citizenship: +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep 2018 03:02:58 am »
If you are using Tableau Server, users do not need to join tables. In fact there is no UI for them to do so. Nor does it require a data warehouse, well modeled or otherwise.

Tableau Desktop is used to create the Tableau equivalent of a Framework Manager package. You pull in the data you need, create any filters, etc. then publish it as a "data source" which server users use as the basis for their reports like you would a Cognos package.

Tableau Prep is more comparable to an ETL tool, and is used to create Tableau data extracts.

Thanks, I mistook the meaning of a datasource in Tableau.