Author Topic: 8.4 Go! Dashboard Install & Config  (Read 69585 times)

Offline david.stachon

• Community Leader
  • Forum Citizenship: +9/-0
8.4 Go! Dashboard Install & Config
« on: 01 Dec 2008 04:37:35 pm »
Anyone got this tool up and running?

...the install/configuration is brutal! (various edits in xml file, and manual deployment to tomcat, etc)

I'm able to get the service up and running, and it appears to be working (I'm able to navigate Cognos Connection to grab content)

As soon as I select a report in the tree, under that report I get the error message:

PRS-PRH-0250 The target server returned an HTTP error code

(this is on the same machine as Cognos 8.4 BI ...yes, I did switch the port to 8081)

Any thoughts?

Offline DustPanMan

• Community Leader
  • Forum Citizenship: +8/-0
    • COGNOiSe.com
Re: 8.4 Go! Dashboard Install & Config
« Reply #1 on: 01 Dec 2008 10:40:31 pm »
David,

I got it to where I could see the folders, but I still have not installed my Samples.  Once I get them installed (probably tomorrow), I'll let you know how it turns out.  Why 8081 instead of 8080?

Best,

Dustin
Best,

D

Offline kolonell

• Community Leader
« Reply #2 on: 02 Dec 2008 12:25:11 pm »
The port needed changing 'cause the other tomcat is running on 8080 already. As far as the error goes i suspect you have integrated auth set on the virtual directories. Try turning it off.

Offline david.stachon

• Community Leader
« Reply #3 on: 02 Dec 2008 04:57:46 pm »
...I got it up and running....pretty cool!

One thing I realized right away is that it will be quite important to give each of your report objects (i.e. list, cross-tabs, graphs) a user friendly name.

(my problem was in the dashboard.properties file. I had not set my gateway, and dispatcher to the correct URLs (i.e. they weren't the default))

cheers,
david.

Offline kyle556

• Forum Citizenship: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: 04 Dec 2008 01:15:12 pm »
I have to agree with the install/config being a little too manual. Doesn't feel refined yet.

I'm having two problems with it so far:

1. The service won't start. I get error code 0 every time I try. The event log has the very useful error:
The IBM Cognos 8 Go! Dashboard service terminated with service-specific error 0 (0x0). It will start if I manually run startup.bat from the command line though.

2. I'm at the last step in the install, where I test the installation by going to a specific URL. Every time I try I get a firewall error:
DPR-ERR-2079 Firewall Security Rejection. Your request was rejected by the security firewall. I have gone through the firewall steps on page 9 over and over again, but it isn't helping.

Offline kolonell

• Community Leader
« Reply #5 on: 05 Dec 2008 02:31:32 am »
Hi Kyle556

>1. The service won't start. I get error code 0 every time I try. The event log has the very useful error:
>The IBM Cognos 8 Go! Dashboard service terminated with service-specific error 0 (0x0). It will start if I manually run startup.bat from >the command line though.

I have had that error once before. I fixed it by uninstalling the service (service.bat uninstall) and reregistering it after making sure that
java_home was set (and visible in the "service.bat install" output).   

>2. I'm at the last step in the install, where I test the installation by going to a specific URL. Every time I try I get a firewall error:
>DPR-ERR-2079 Firewall Security Rejection. Your request was rejected by the security firewall. I have gone through the firewall steps on >page 9 over and over again, but it isn't helping.

What is the URL you test ? what have put as "valid host/domain" in the CAF settings ?

Offline Aash

• Forum Citizenship: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: 09 Dec 2008 04:49:55 am »
Hi David,

I am getting the exact same problem. I have both the app servers running on the same machine on 2 ports 8080 for C8 and 8081 for Go!

Spent 2 days fighting the config, got it up and running but am still unable to:

1. See any objects in the folder structure, i.e. I can see all my folders under public folder but I when I expand them there is nothing there. Also when I click the toolbox I am getting this error "PRS-PRH-0250 The target server returned an HTTP", no objects getting displayed there either.

2. See Go! Dashboard in the capabilities in Cognos Admin. Initially I had set the WEB.GATEWAY_URI in the PresentationService and I thought that was the problem. But since then I have changed that to my dispatcher's advance setting and restarted the cognos server but its still the same. Cannot access Go! from Cognos.

My dashboard.properties file looks something like this:
c8_dispatch=http://hschasdstc0017:9300/p2pd/servlet/dispatch
c8_gateway=http://hschasdstc0017:80/cognos8/cgi-bin/cognosisapi.dll
c8_webcontent=http://hschasdstc0017:80/cognos8

I have checked all the URLs in IE and all of them work.

I also checked the ATOM Feed for one of the reports in the Folder list using Firefox and got the following error message:
<rds:error>
  <rds:message>
      RDS-ERR-1022 The request received by Report Data Service is not valid.
  </rds:message>
</rds:error>

Any help would be really appreciated..

« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2008 05:10:40 am by Aash »

Offline kolonell

• Community Leader
« Reply #7 on: 09 Dec 2008 11:18:08 am »
Hi Aash

Have installed the "Go! Dashboard Resources" and "Thumbnail Service" on top of the existing BI install as well ? I had that
error when accessing the Toolbox and resolved it by installing the 2 components above onto the BI part.

Offline kyle556

« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2008 01:04:22 pm »
Hi kolonell,

Thanks for the tip on setting java_home before installing the service. The install guide is misleading when it says the java_home variable only needs to be set in either a distributed install or when not installed in the cognos8 folder. My server isn't distributed, and it is installed to the cognos8 directory, so I assumed this step wasn't needed. After setting java_home, the service starts without problems.

For my firewall problem, the URL I'm trying is: http://y2:8090/cognos/dashboard/html . In my CAF settings, I have "y2" under valid domains. When that didn't work, I also tried "y2:8090" but I get the same result. I placed a support call to Cognos and they sent me a "Troubleshooting GO! Dashboard Companion Guide" PDF which I'm still digesting.

Thanks for your help!

Offline kolonell

• Community Leader
« Reply #9 on: 10 Dec 2008 04:21:27 pm »
hmm .... hostname:portnumber (y2:8090) is the correct entry in the valid domains section. I would say check that you haven't specified any other host name in the dashboard.properties file or make sure you have recycled the service ;-) 

Thx for the tip .. I 'll log a SR as well then to get my hands on that guide !! Let's hope it's better than the install guide ...

Offline kyle556

« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2008 12:56:56 pm »
I've reviewed the dashboard.properties file and it looks ok, as far as I can tell. I've also recycled the service several times :)
I tried turning off the firewall and restarting the service and dashboard opens up ok... but that's not a fix either. I'll just wait to see what support has to say.

The companion guide is useful, and goes into more detail about the inner workings of dashboard, but sometimes it contradicts the install guide. Hopefully the next version of dashboard has a smoother install.

Offline kolonell

• Community Leader
« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2008 02:46:44 pm »
Yes, there is a lot of opportunity in improving the install seeing it's almost non existing now in some way.

Got the document myself now as well from "Tech talk insider" but can't see what you mean that it contradicts the install Guide?  I would
say it ought to be the install guide in the first place ;-) 

Offline kyle556

« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2008 03:39:53 pm »
For example, The install on page 15 says "Type build.bat and press Enter".
In the companion on page 15 is says, "The build.bat file must be modified to point to the IBM Cognos 8 location in order for the bat file to work".
So, should I just run it, or must I modify it first?
Also, the install guide says java_home only needs to be set under certain circumstances where the companion says to set it if not set already. As I found out, the companion is more correct in that instance.
All things considered, it's still better than the install guide!  :D

Offline kolonell

• Community Leader
« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2008 03:13:47 am »
Ah ok, I see what you mean. :-)

Offline cognos84

• Associate
  • Forum Citizenship: +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: 12 Dec 2008 09:42:43 am »
I istalled the cognos Go dashboard but when I drag and drop the Cgonos Navigator from the toolbox I am not getting the icons. I am getting all the content from the Cognos connection like publec folder and my folder but not getting the icon , any idea?