Author Topic: moving reports from 10.2 to Cognos analytics 11  (Read 1233 times)

Offline 84gopi

• Forum Citizenship: +0/-1
moving reports from 10.2 to Cognos analytics 11
« on: 14 Feb 2018 06:52:30 am »
Hi,

Currently we are using Cognos 10.2.1 version, planning to move to Cognos analytics 11.0.
But not with complete migration.

So please let us know which version is stable and good for development in cognos analytics from 11.0 to 11.0.9?

Also is their any way we can move only the reports to new version, without complete migration?

if you have any document or link details which can be useful to decide on the version, please share with us.

Thanks
Gopi

Offline MFGF

• Never knowingly correct
  • Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +620/-10
  • Cognos Software Muppet
Re: moving reports from 10.2 to Cognos analytics 11
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2018 07:20:53 am »
Hi,

Currently we are using Cognos 10.2.1 version, planning to move to Cognos analytics 11.0.
But not with complete migration.

So please let us know which version is stable and good for development in cognos analytics from 11.0 to 11.0.9?

Also is their any way we can move only the reports to new version, without complete migration?

if you have any document or link details which can be useful to decide on the version, please share with us.

Thanks
Gopi

Hi,

I'd go with the latest release of CA, which is currently 11.0.9. Newer builds of CA have more capabilities as well as appearing to be more robust.

In CA you're going to need your packages and data source connections as well as your reports, or else the reports won't run. You can migrate as much or as little of the content as you like - think of it in terms of upgrading from one version to another rather than migrating to a new architecture.

Cheers!

MF.
Meep!

Offline dougp

• Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +14/-1
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2018 06:32:26 pm »
Stable?  Well, it doesn't crash.  You'll want to test every feature to be sure it meets the needs of your users.  The Filter Condition dialog, for example, is very disappointing.

Offline 84gopi

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2018 12:03:11 am »
Hi MF,

I need all the reports, cubes if any has to run in Cognos Analytics. I thought if we go with latest version 11.0.9, since it is latest version we may have some issues and fixes that IBM is doing it.

So if we use the latest version is it better to start any project development?

how can we migrate only partial content in new environment?

upgrade from 10.2 to directly CA 11.0.6/11.0.7/11.0.9? do we see any challenges in report running and other things?

Or its better to upgrade to 11.06 then to 11.0.9? please advise.

Also if possible share any document for my reference.

Thanks
Gopi

Offline MFGF

• Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Cognos Software Muppet
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2018 02:02:25 am »
Hi MF,

I need all the reports, cubes if any has to run in Cognos Analytics. I thought if we go with latest version 11.0.9, since it is latest version we may have some issues and fixes that IBM is doing it.

So if we use the latest version is it better to start any project development?

how can we migrate only partial content in new environment?

upgrade from 10.2 to directly CA 11.0.6/11.0.7/11.0.9? do we see any challenges in report running and other things?

Or its better to upgrade to 11.06 then to 11.0.9? please advise.

Also if possible share any document for my reference.

Thanks
Gopi

Hi,

All the reports you have in 10.2.1 should run exactly as they do now when you move them to Cognos Analytics. There are new features you can "switch on" if you wish to (such as the new Interactive Viewer) and depending on how your reports are written and whether you use JavaScript they might need some updates if you do, but if you just move the reports etc they should work exactly as they do currently in 10.2.1.

You can create deployment archives in 10.2.1 and select which parts of the content to include - then just move these across to 11.0.9 and import them. It's no different from moving content from 10.2.1 to 10.2.2, or from one instance of 10.2.1 to another (eg Dev to Test).

There's no need to migrate to anything between 10.2.1 and 11.0.9 - just go straight there.

IBM Have a good guide for the upgrade here:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21624935

Cheers!

MF.
Meep!

Offline 84gopi

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2018 12:32:00 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the information, I will look into those things.

can you also let me know how can we handle load balancing in Cognos analytics if we have only 1 server, where all the cognos components are installed.

For example: In cognos 11 web server is optional gateway. so all the requests will be directly send to dispatcher.

so can you suggest better cognos server architecture details, like how many server we should have, which can be feasible and better performance.

I am suggesting my client with 3 Tier Architecture.

1. Top layer GUI ( windows and Web bases components)
2. Tier -1 Web Server ( optional gateway in cognos analytics)
3. Tier -2  Application server
4. Tier -3 Data Tier ( content store and metric Store) along with data sources.

Is it fine to with above approach? if its gud how can we manager load balancing here.

Or we should go with 1 primary and secondary server (backup) for each content store, gateway and Dispatcher.

Please advise.

Thanks
Gopi

Offline 84gopi

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2018 06:19:58 am »
Hi,

We had a call with client today on cognos architecture, they were asking is it possible to install all the cognos components in 1 server ( gateway, content, dispatcher, FM, Powerplay, cognos connection etc...) for development work?

If so, Is their any challenges or issues we may face if we install all in 1 server?

Please advise.

Thanks
Gopi

Offline MFGF

• Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Cognos Software Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2018 06:38:53 am »
Hi,

We had a call with client today on cognos architecture, they were asking is it possible to install all the cognos components in 1 server ( gateway, content, dispatcher, FM, Powerplay, cognos connection etc...) for development work?

If so, Is their any challenges or issues we may face if we install all in 1 server?

Please advise.

Thanks
Gopi

Hi,

Yes, it's both possible and common :)

Challenges you might face are the spec of the server not being up to hosting all of the load, plus the loss of failover if the server crashes. If you want Framework Manager on there, you're also limiting yourself to a Windows server.

Cheers!

MF.
Meep!

Offline 84gopi

« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2018 12:18:33 am »
Hi,

Sorry I am not getting clearly what you meant by.

Could you please elaborate and let me know regarding issues and problems we may face if we have single server? client also mentioned since users are less no need of backup/stand server.

Please send me the details of issues/challenges or advantages/disadvantages of having single or multiple server as per 3 Tier architecture.

So that I can inform the same to our client.

Thanks
Gopi

Offline 84gopi

« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2018 07:02:24 am »
Hi,

Can you please respond to my query.

Thanks
Gopi

Offline MFGF

• Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Cognos Software Muppet
« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2018 07:59:52 am »
Hi,

Sorry I am not getting clearly what you meant by.

Could you please elaborate and let me know regarding issues and problems we may face if we have single server? client also mentioned since users are less no need of backup/stand server.

Please send me the details of issues/challenges or advantages/disadvantages of having single or multiple server as per 3 Tier architecture.

So that I can inform the same to our client.

Thanks
Gopi

If you have a single server, challenges you might face are:
- The spec (memory/cpu) of the server is not enough to support the load of the Cognos processing. Make sure your server has enough resources free
- You have no failover capabilities. If the server dies, you lose your Cognos instance until you get it running again.
- If you also intend to host Framework Manager on the server, you are then limited to using a Windows server (rather than Linux/Unix) as FM only runs on Windows.
It's a little worrying that you are in a position of being a trusted advisor to your client and giving them best practice advice on their Cognos infrastructure but your post implies you're not familiar with the main concepts of the Cognos architecture. Have you considered taking some training in Cognos Administration?

Cheers!

MF.
Meep!

Offline 84gopi

« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2018 12:00:45 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the details.

yes I know cognos administration, but even I know if we use single server it will have load and some time performance issues due to more load on processing.

But wanted to confirm with more details before I inform our client.

Any way I will let you know if I have any more queries later.

Thanks
Gopi

Offline 84gopi

« Reply #12 on: 01 Mar 2018 12:34:48 am »
Hi,

I have refer below IBM links and saw, we need to install Application tier (dispatcher, content manager, gateway) and data tier (content store) in 2 separate computers, instead of single PC.

Cognos 11 Distributing components

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEP7J_11.0.0/com.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.inst_cr_winux.doc/c_reportnetinstallationoptions.html

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEP7J_11.0.0/com.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.inst_cr_winux.doc/c_distributionoptionsforcognosseries8.html#DistributionOptionsforCognosSeries8

So is it mandatory to install above in separate computer? or we can manager with single computer also?

In cognos analytics we already have data module, how good it is to develop relational or DMR modules. because I have not worked on analytics not sure how feasible it is.

So if data module is gud do we need FM to be installed in separate computer? or we can manage with data module only for development work?

Thanks
Gopi

Offline MFGF

• Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Cognos Software Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 01 Mar 2018 02:15:42 am »
Hi,

I have refer below IBM links and saw, we need to install Application tier (dispatcher, content manager, gateway) and data tier (content store) in 2 separate computers, instead of single PC.

Cognos 11 Distributing components

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEP7J_11.0.0/com.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.inst_cr_winux.doc/c_reportnetinstallationoptions.html

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEP7J_11.0.0/com.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.inst_cr_winux.doc/c_distributionoptionsforcognosseries8.html#DistributionOptionsforCognosSeries8

So is it mandatory to install above in separate computer? or we can manager with single computer also?

In cognos analytics we already have data module, how good it is to develop relational or DMR modules. because I have not worked on analytics not sure how feasible it is.

So if data module is gud do we need FM to be installed in separate computer? or we can manage with data module only for development work?

Thanks
Gopi

Hi,

As I indicated above, you can install everything on one server. If you look at the page your first link points to, the first option it gives is

•Install all components on one computer.

This is telling you that you can install everything on one server.

This is a really basic Cognos 101 architecture question. Have you really taken training? Was it an official course? Distribution (or non-distribution) of the architecture is one of the very first things it covers, and in lots of good detail.

A Data Module is really intended for agile data discovery. It doesn't have many of the security, governance, trap resolution and multi-grain capabilities you'd find in Framework Manager. If you want robust, governed, reliable metadata models, use FM to create them. You will almost certainly need FM, so plan where you want it to be installed.

Cheers!

MF.
Meep!

Offline 84gopi

« Reply #14 on: 01 Mar 2018 03:12:52 am »
Hi,

that first option it says to install all in 1 server, is for POC or demo purpose only not for complete development work I believe.

Yes I have taken official training only long back, where I have used distributed components like 2 servers for each gateway, dispatcher and content manager.

It all depends on the requirement we will choose the environment setup, but for best performance its not advisable to install all in one server, that what I am thinking.....

Thanks for Data module details. I will sure be installing FM and use because its really feasible and better for development purpose only.

Thanks
Gopi

Twittear