Author Topic: Upgrading from Cognos BI 10 to Cognos Analytics  (Read 308 times)

Offline M.Mistry

• Associate
  • Forum Citizenship: +0/-0
Upgrading from Cognos BI 10 to Cognos Analytics
« on: 26 Jul 2018 09:15:11 am »
Helllo all

I have few questions that hopefully someone can help and answer.

1) CAM security that is used on Cognos BI10, can we implement the same strategy on Cognos Analytics, there are  no difference or any changes are there?

2) Anyone experienced issues with CAM on Cognos Analytics, any issues during configurations or anything?

3) Can there be a share of experiences or knowledge on any issues whilst upgrading from Cognos BI to Cognos Analytics?

It would be a great help to not only me but many people who are on this wild journey of trying to upgrade their BI Platform.

Thank you

« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2018 09:40:37 am by M.Mistry »

Offline HelloCognos

• Community Leader
Re: Upgrading from Cognos BI 10 to Cognos Analytics
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2018 06:46:22 pm »
Hi there,
 :)
We migrated from Cognos 10 to Cognos 11 Analytics without any issues except for a Map. We were able to get the Export from 10.2.2 and use the deployment file to deploy to Cognos 11. Same for Framework Manager 11. Of cource, that is just for the application files. I'm not sure about the security and other features.

We did not have many graphics (charts, etc) involved but the only issue we faced was the Cognos MAP that was done in Cognos 10. The Mapping feature is totally replaced by the new Analytics Visualization which is a lot cooler than Cognos 10 but if you have Maps in Cognos 10, you may have to redo them. The simple Bar, Column charts went through just fine.

Nice work Cognos!!!

Offline MFGF

• Never knowingly correct
  • Super Moderator
  • Statesman
  • Forum Citizenship: +627/-10
  • Cognos Software Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2018 03:36:53 am »
Hi there,
 :)
We migrated from Cognos 10 to Cognos 11 Analytics without any issues except for a Map. We were able to get the Export from 10.2.2 and use the deployment file to deploy to Cognos 11. Same for Framework Manager 11. Of cource, that is just for the application files. I'm not sure about the security and other features.

We did not have many graphics (charts, etc) involved but the only issue we faced was the Cognos MAP that was done in Cognos 10. The Mapping feature is totally replaced by the new Analytics Visualization which is a lot cooler than Cognos 10 but if you have Maps in Cognos 10, you may have to redo them. The simple Bar, Column charts went through just fine.

Nice work Cognos!!!

Hi,

The old Cognos 8/10 maps are still part of the product in Cognos Analytics, and you can still continue to use them. I'm guessing you were using a custom map in C10 and you forgot to copy it into the maps folder in CA?

Cheers!

MF.
Meep!

Offline M.Mistry

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2018 07:06:50 am »
Hello all.

Thank you for that. Did you upgrade on a windows platform or on a linux platform? Did you use any IBM Documentions or manuals? Reason I ask is because my thoughts are towards using the same implementation plan previously used for cognos bi but then also need to understand time and effort.

Thank you soo much for your time guys. This is quite useful and you guys do an amazing job with the help you guys provide :)

Offline HelloCognos

• Community Leader
« Reply #4 on: 08 Aug 2018 07:34:46 am »
You right. I do see the option for legacy maps.

For understanding the migration, I would suggest to do the following,

1) How many Report Studio Reports and how complex they are? i.e. if Java Scripts is used, there might be some compatibility issues depending on your JVM.

2) The Cognos Analytics utilizes a much more powerful interface compared to the older Workspace Advanced. I had to write some documents to explain the differences after playing with the new Analytics options. Workspace Advanced is bundled or combined into the Analytics.

3) I didn't face many issues with Framework Manager 11 but we had to switch to DQM at the same time and that brought some validations of our objects that wasn't a pretty picture.

4) At the server level, we migrated to a Linux environment but I wasn't the Server Admin so no clues on what the guy did.
Analytics has a different Folder System (My Content and Team Content) so you'll need to educate your power users and others.

It took us an approximate 3 months to move to the Cognos 11 Analytics which included Server, Application migration and End User Training.

Hope the above helps.  :) :)

Twittear