If you are unable to create a new account, please email support@bspsoftware.com


Cannot Connect to Content Store following Upgrade to CA 11.1.7

Started by adam_mc, 22 Dec 2020 09:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic


I have completed an upgrade to CA 11.1.7 FP1 from CA 11.0.13.

Upon trying to connect to the Content Store I am getting the following message:

[Content Manager database connection]
[ ERROR ] The database connection failed.
[ ERROR ] Content Manager is unable to connect to the content store. Verify that the database connection properties in the configuration tool are correct and that when you test the connection, the test is successful.

My Content Store is on Oracle and the connection defined as:

Whilst certain entities have been obfuscated, this same connection worked previous to the upgrade.

We use SSL and SSO.
Other than running an over-the-top install, I have made no other changes to the configuration.

Note: I am also getting an [Check NIST 131A conformance warning] while starting Cognos services message, but as this is only a warning I want to resolve the database connection issues first.



Hello Adam,

I have experienced a few times that when doing an over the top installation on the existing content store causing it to become corrupt. This usually happens if you do an over the top installation on a content store that hasn't been upgraded in a long time. Therefore, now a days when I do an installation/upgrade I always do it on a new empty content store database. Make sure you export your existing content store within Cognos Administration portal and once you have installed the 11.1.7 you import the exported copy of your content store.

It could of course be the cryptokeys that has to be re-created or the sqljdbc42.jar missing but I am almost certain it is the above issue.

Best regards,


I use SQL Server (not Oracle) so my response may not be a 100% match, but I hope it leads you in the right direction.

I find when I upgrade from 11.0.13 to 11.1.7, <install_location>\drivers\sqljdbc42.jar still exists.  My problem was missing the "auth" files.  To automatically keep these during the installation process, I modify <install_location>\configuration\preserve\preserve.txt to preserve the files.

# Specify files to exclude first

# Specify files or folders to preserve